Along my journey as a professional organizer, I’ve discovered a combination of two organizing styles that are perfect for myself and my clients.
1st style: the “out-of-sight, out-of-mind” style
2nd style: the need for surfaces to be beautiful and clear to focus, think clearly, and make decisions fast, so we get things done with so much less effort and much more ease.
It can often be tough to figure out how to incorporate the two opposite styles, so they work together seamlessly. (Psssst…using clear containers everywhere isn’t the answer!)
My clients tend to be a bit more creative than I am, but they do have plenty of logic skills. My goal in working with them is to upgrade their organizational skills, set up systems that make sense for them and create an environment where inspiration, creativity and productivity co-exist. Does that resonate with you?
Being an entrepreneur means they’ll need to tap into their logic and be strategic with their business, without losing the ability to ignite their creativity, passion and expressive side. And if I’m being totally honest with you, they want some of their femininity back! It’s easy to slip into a masculine energy where go-getter women like us push, push, push.
So, if you’re a home-based entrepreneur who wants to set up systems that aren’t over-organized – where systems are too time-consuming, tedious and complex to maintain when you get really busy;
aren’t under-organized – where things are getting lost, forgotten or frustrating;
and instead, become a well-organized entrepreneur – set up in a way that looks good, feels good and actually makes sense to you, then let’s talk.
I can help you organize your workspace and set up business systems, so you continue to grow your business with more confidence, ease and speed. It’s about becoming more efficient and removing the distractions that eat up your time.
And, with the time you save, you can work on more long term business growth activities or you can start reconnecting with your favorite people again or begin doing the most important things in life…that include your favorite people, your favorite activities, or getting selfish by being a totally-relaxing bum…
Now, let’s get personal! My favorite tidbits about my personality and style…
There’s NEVER a dull moment in my home. I married a great man and we have 2 teenage daughters…who are total opposites! I quit working for others in 2003 and began my own journey…
- I have an addiction to sunlight. I’ll go crazy if I don’t get my fix of warm sun kissing my face and skin every single day…ahhhh…it feels so refreshing and amazing.
- I donate and toss things constantly, because I’ve been on the receiving end – more than once. During my childhood, it’s how I had clothes & christmas presents during tough times for my Mom. And, then again, after a house fire, and then again after we lost everything to a hurricane. People really do need help during extreme life challenges!
- I’ve lost everything I own, TWICE – in my Mom’s house fire in 1990 – during my first semester of college. My husband, children and I also lost everything to a hurricane in 2005. Ouch! My business didn’t suffer from the hurricane. I learned it doesn’t take much material things to run a business. Life and business are so much simpler with the beautiful basics and a happy atmosphere.
- I’ve moved too many times to count…
- Sold our first home in ONE day. Sold our second home within 2 weeks. (I’m GOOD. No, really. I’m good.)
- I can finally say time management, systems and productivity without cringing. I used to be allergic to those words. They were so intimidating to me. Thankfully, they are a naturally occurring result of being well-organized. Woo-hoo!
- I choose to be happy and can catch myself if I start playing the complaining, blaming, or excuse making game.
- My year of documentaries was my most eye-opening year ever!
- I ADORE going on Strike!!!! I do absolutely nothing productive, except read my movies or watch TV for a whole week at a time. At least twice a year, maybe 3 or 4 times.
- The ability to work from anywhere has opened the door to so much more freedom & traveling flexibility. LOVE.
- I enjoy freshly warm clothes and sorting laundry. The trick to maintaining large amounts of laundry is to hang & fold the clothes straight from the dryer, so they don’t pile up in an overwhelming wrinkled glob of unfolded glory.
- I ironed my money when I was a child.
- Less is more. Really.
- Writing, marketing and polishing up other people’s website copy is actually FUN.
- I don’t use coupons. I surely don’t organize them…no, thank you.
- I crack up at my own jokes, especially the ones I make up in my head!
- I love digging in the dirt and planting flowers…My dirt therapy soothes my soul. I created my own little outdoor haven to enjoy every day.
- Curse words escape from my mouth when I’m in awe, excited or stressing a point…not usually in an “ugly, derogative” way!
- I thrive in a beautiful, streamlined, classy-cozy, open environment!!! It pleases my senses, my energy and my soul.
- Watching bonfire flames dancing in the night and keeping me warm is a favorite winter past time.
- I often use analogies to communicate a lesson and I like when other people use analogies to teach me, too!
- I adore the sound of laughter. It’s SO contagious.
- “Inspiration isn’t on a schedule.” ~Melody Granger (my favorite quote!!!)
- “Energy management is more important than time management.” – Melody Granger (my 2nd favorite quote!)
- Music is the fastest way to ramp up my energy and get things done.
- I’m a skeptic of many people. I like “energy” stuff. No, not traditional Feng Shui with all the magical cures. I don’t practice or teach that stuff. For me, your Energy is more about your attitude, your presence, and your natural ups & downs. There’s a lot of common sense stuff that many of us are naturals at, because we sense it. In fact, I’ve always unconsciously known that I can raise spirits and vibes by helping others in their environments. I just didn’t KNOW-KNOW that’s what I was doing for so many years. It just felt right.
- Let’s go 4-wheeling, kayaking (not in the ocean!), snapping pictures, walking through the woods or watch a thunderstorm blow thru.
- I’m impatient in the kitchen. I do enjoy grilling.
- I thoroughly suck at multi-tasking. I’m a focused kinda person.
- I love my jeans, cut off kacki capris, shimmery flip-flop sandals, and hair pulled back in a sleek ponytail!!!
- The sight of a pine tree forest is so breathtakingly peaceful.
- I’m a capricorn.
- Earth tone colors are soothing, jewel tones are my favorite vivid colors, and charcoal grey is my classic anytime-color.
- I don’t like extremes of anything. I think they are dangerous.
- I used to care about spelling, now it doesn’t really matter. Too bad spell check doesn’t catch “your” and “you’re”.
- I’m very handy! and have my own drill + tools.
- I love for the indoors to be as peaceful and energizing as a beautiful day outdoors.
- At night I want total darkness. I wake up naturally and sleep heavily enough to have lots of dreams.
- My connection to source energy is the sun…and nature is my grounding life-balance force.
- I’ve been meeting more & more amazing women across the globe. I’m especially attracted to women who aren’t posers -acting like someone they aren’t, just to fit in or keep the peace. Posers aren’t to be confused with people who are are simply being the best version of their natural personalities and those experiences that have shaped their lives.
- Maturity is so beautiful.
- I love hanging out with women who can be total bums & just hang out. Dressing up is cool, too. Just not every day!
I didn’t grow up in the most functional environment. Which probably makes you and I more alike than different. Thankfully, my quiet, observant nature led me to raise spirits in a totally subconscious way. Allow me to explain a bit…
During my childhood days I became the head cheerleader of the family clean team! There were 6 messy kids who were split into 2 bedrooms.
Three girls and three boys, in that order. I am the middle child of the girls.
Clearing spaces and creating order was a survival skill I began to learn, just to experience more happiness. I was abused until I was brave enough to run away at age 15. (I worked through that, so no pity for me!) I learned at a young age that uncluttered spaces make most feel more calm, peaceful and happy.
As a young adult, I could be found lending a helping hand to friends and family when they were feeling overwhelmed with their lives. I also organized spaces where I was employed. Just because I couldn’t resist dumping jumbled and cramped spaces to create order.
I didn’t realize how deeply I was helping everyone. I only knew that by changing the physical environment I helped raise spirits and everyone felt better, happier, and relieved.
Then in 2003, I came to the proverbial fork in the road of my life and chose to start my own business helping others de-clutter, re-organize and set up systems to make their lives easier.
I wanted flexibility to be home more with my young children and not have to request being off for events or traveling to see my family. So, I made it happen. I’m so resourceful.
I hated that I had to essentially “ask for permission” to do what I wanted to do.
I didn’t have a clue of what I was getting myself into.
I was 29 when I actually began studying, applying and honing my organizational skills, gaining more personal and professional experience along the way. I learned a ton about what works and what doesn’t by working in person with so many different people – in personal environments and business environments.
I combined my personal and business organizational skills to serve the home-based entrepreneur. Makes sense, since I’m a home-based entrepreneur, just like my clients. My husband is an entrepreneur, too. It’s still fairly new for him since he’s in the first few years of ramping up. He has a major distinct advantage because he’s a master at managing teams and creating win-win partnerships to serve more high-end clients.
Do you wanna know what happened before I started working intensively with only entrepreneurs over the more recent years?
I turned them AWAY! Yes, it’s true. I didn’t have time to transition to serve another market (again!) because in 2009 my husband lost his job and I became the main cash-flow to pay living expenses, home and car debt, plus actual food! My services were provided during school months and I had to close the income gap for the summer months and holiday seasons.
I did okaaay at filling in the summer gap, but my income wasn’t consistent. Ugh! Things got really, really tight and within one year, I was stressed and scared we were going to lose everything we worked so hard for. I risked money investing in business coaching…once, twice, three times…and more with business programs.
I met so many amazing entrepreneurs going thru the same thing. Some farther ahead of me, some just starting out. As women entrepreneurs began to get to know me, many of them reached out to me for advice, so I generously gave them tips and explained how important it was that they get well-organized in their homes and offices.
Sure, they could get by, but they were going to sacrifice more time, energy, health, relationships and opportunities. And to be able to handle going bigger, organization was essential to their success. They needed as much positive energy, patience, and consistency as they could muster, not stress.
Entrepreneurship will test your stamina and abilities at every level. You probably already know this, right?
One of my business mentors, Lisa Wilder, kept trying to get me to see that I was a perfect match to help home-based entrepreneurs.
In typical Melody-style, I resisted and ignored her advice. I am one stubborn person. The funny thing is that I had already been working with entrepreneurial-spirited people all my life! Only I didn’t apply the “entrepreneur” label to them.
Talk about a mind block…and you know what?, even after I realized that, I still didn’t go for it. I was happy with my clientele and couldn’t imagine leaving them. Plus, my current clients were investing in themselves through me.
But the truth is, I got overwhelmed trying to stretch myself. I was at burnout stage. I didn’t get extremely disorganized per se, but I had collected a whole ‘lotta crap and created a ton more work for myself. I had ideas out of the wazoo, too. I began doing the bare necessities to get by while I was keeping up with my current client load and trying to expand my business by gaining more visibility. I became a HOT mess!
There were times I wanted to lay on the floor kicking and screaming like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. Or I’d cry on the inside, because there were nights that I couldn’t release the stress out of my neck, shoulders or back. I knew I was close to quitting (okay, so I did quit in my wildest dreams), but I couldn’t - for practical reasons and because I actually enjoyed helping others streamline their lives.
So, I did what I do best. I gave myself a reality check. Then, I got a grip by streamlining everything in my home and for my business. I chunked so much stuff it would probably scare the bejeezus out of you. I took streamlining to a new level. AND, I automated as much as I could, because an assistant was out of the question during that time.
Guess what happened? I rocked my time management, getting four times more done in half the time (I tracked my productivity!) and I began making more money. How do you feel about working with less effort and making more? It happens.
Then one day, as I was sitting at my desk working, chill bumps covered my body. It was a “knowing.” a “truth.”
At that chill-bump moment I understood, at a deeper level than ever before, how critical office organization and business systems are for supporting home-based business owners who are destined for high 5-Figures, 6-Figures and beyond.
And, these dedicated entrepreneurs wanted help from someone who “gets” what they are trying to accomplish and can help guide them to create results they desire. They are optimistic, fun ladies, too!
I knew I could make the biggest life-changing difference for independent entrepreneurs who run their businesses from home, than the wonderful people I had spent years and years working with.
So, I decided to turn my focus to serving established, service-based entrepreneurs who have a home-business-office and want to grow their business with more confidence, ease and speed. They want to enjoy a generous income without working their booties into the ground, spend more stress-free, high quality time with their friends and family, and they want to experience a happy existence while they are here on earth. We have SO much in common.
Sound like you? Are you ready to get streamlined, so the next level of your business expansion can begin? Enter your name and email below and it would be my honor to send you your free brochure I created to get you started.
And, since then, I’ve had the pleasure to work with the most remarkable, optimistic, dedicated entrepreneurs who are taking full responsibility of their success.
I can’t believe it took me so long to find my ideal clients (or did they find me?)…who are border-line perfectionists, intelligent, totally humble and kind, go-getters, slightly selfish in a very good way, determined, and genuine in their efforts to help others, as well as helping themselves.
The best part for my own story is, I took my business from an in-person local level, to a national level, then to an international level…steadily working less and earning more than ever before.
Plus, my schedule is created around when I want to work and when I want to play.
Because, that’s how I roll.
Now you know that I’m a normal, average person who has plenty of life stories…the AH-MAZING and the frustrating! I’m human, just like everybody else I’ve had the honor of partnering with.
Is getting more done in less time, touching more lives and receiving more money part of your entrepreneurial and lifestyle dream? If so, I’m thrilled you are here. Let’s get you super-streamlined for even more life and biz expansion success!
P.S. Enjoy the rest of your day! Reach out anytime right here.